Who we are
1,000 Mothers to Prevent Violence is a grassroots 501(c)3 nonprofit organization devoted to serving families and friends who have been directly impacted by violence.1,000 Mothers to Prevent Violence was founded by Lorrain Taylor in response to the tragic deaths of her 22 year old twin sons (Albade and Obadiah Taylor (6-8-1977 to 2-8-2000)) to homicide while working on a car. Both twin brothers were working their way through college..
What we do
1k MPV endeavors to provide a continuum of care for the entire family, in particular the grieving parent who must continue to provide for surviving children. 1K MPV has served more than 1,000 victim survivors throughout the greater San Francisco Bay Area and beyond. With the help of 7 volunteers, we serve approximately 30 grieving victim survivors each month by providing legal and mental health referral services, peer grief support groups, delivering groceries, networking and advocacy.
A 501 (C) (3) NONPROFIT ORGANIZATION
Please make a “free will” donation. Any amount will HELP!
MS. TAYLOR, “….YOUR EFFORT, EFFECTIVENESS AND SPIRIT ARE VERY IMPRESSIVE. IT MOTIVATES ME TO MAKE A CONTRIBUTION…”
Programs & Services
- Advocacy: Advocate for fair compensation to victims and for public policy and
- COPE: (English/Spanish) Bi-monthly grief support group organized to create a safe environment for community residents regardless of race, color or religious affiliation to share and meet other homicide victim survivor
- PURPLE Gala/Evening of Healing: Provide complimentary holiday dinner & entertainment for homicide victim- survivors & survivors of gun Aim to bridge gap between law enforcement and community.
- 1000 Mothers Walk 4 Healing: Annual walk on “Victim-Survivors Day” to raise awareness of the ongoing impact of violence on families and the
- Outreach & Prevention Services: Collect and disseminate information regarding mental health, legal resources, and victim services; collaborate with law enforcement officers to broaden communication and to help victim survivors understand criminal justice
- Mission House Project: Offer food, home décor, small appliances & apparels to victims of domestic & gun
How You Can Help
“If you give a little, you can help a lot”
- Make a financial Donation via mail
- or PayPal (www.1000mothers.org)
- Combined Federal Campaign (#84286)
- Provide Technical Support
- Host a Fundraiser
- Make an in-Kind Donation
“I saw this gap in the community where I knew I could make a difference,” says Taylor, a high- spirited gospel singer and community activist. “Mothers (affected by violence) are a faceless issue.” USF Magazine (2008)
1000 Mothers to Prevent Violence
“Helping to Heal”
1,000 Mothers to Prevent Violence goal is to create, maintain and enhance programs to reduce violence and to empower homicide victims-survivors.
1,000 Mothers to Prevent Violence Mission is to ease the traumatic impact of violence on homicide and crime victim-survivors by providing ongoing compassionate support & services.
1,000 Mothers to Prevent Violence Objective is to heal, to educate and to empower homicide victim-survivors by responding their emotional and physical needs; assist parents and children to stabilize their lives long after the tragedy.